Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Precious is not my story

This week I got into an interesting discussion about the movie "Precious" which I have not seen and really have no intention of seeing it but, I did read the book several years ago as part of a bookclub, which was titled "Push." Some of the folks in the discussion felt as though the people that didn't like the movie or want to see the movie, were coming from a place of fear, fear of being exposed to or exposure of the ugly secrets in our families and communities. For me, it is not a matter of fear, I just do not want to see this movie. I am never uplifted by ugliness. I do not like stories about rape and sexual abuse, it is not entertaining for me to watch these things. I prefer to positive movies, sci fi, fantasies. Don't get me wrong, I have seen movies with sexual violence in them but, given the choice and knowing the story ahead of time, I am making a decision to not see the movie Precious. The book was very short so, they have added a lot of things to the film, and there are just some images, when given a heads up about certain scenes, that I would rather keep out of my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment