Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Giving permission

Once you give permission to a journalist in the case of my daughter's family or in my case, to a film maker, you have given up control of your image and your words and they can present you any way that they want to. I used to be a journalism student but in my senior year of college, I switched over to anthropology because for the most part, I really dislike journalist and newspapers because I saw their work as being very shallow. So you see, I had to move to something that allowed me to observe and write in a more in depth manner. The journalist that did the story on my daughter's family arrived with her angle already in mind. She presented them as struggling and asking for hand outs when in fact, my honorary son-in-law came up with a unique way to earn money. The fact that reporters have their own story already in their heads before they even meet with you is crap and I do not trust them. They are not objective at all! She really should have done her research before arriving. Now in my case, I was interviewed by a very nice couple who were filming a documentary and, I am a little worried about how I am going to look in the film. I won't say that I am chanting and hoping that it won't see the light of day, but I have a little anxiety about how I will look physically and if I am going to have to leave the country for the things that I said to them. The one good thing that came out of the whole experience is that it forced me to come out and start to show people my true self, love it or leave it. I mean the idea of people disliking me on a one on one basis is okay, but, I could actually have a lot of negative energy coming my way from a lot of people and how will I handle it? I have forgotten most of the things I said except for some of the hot topics on race and I am cool with people questioning me about my views and know that I can give them clear answers. The only question that stumped me was when they asked me what made me happy because I really don't think about it. I mean if you have read my posts you will see that my life is so full of joy and I am just trying to keep others from trying to destroy my tranquility. So for that question, I gave them a generic answer, "family," and I don't remember what else I said. In the end I hope I look and sound alright and am not mis-represented through the editing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment