Thursday, January 28, 2010

Snail Mail

There is something so magical about getting a hand written letter in the mail and this experience simply cannot be matched with email. Email is cool but it only involves couple of my senses and that is sight and touch but when it comes to a handwritten letter, I can see, touch, hear, smell and even taste it if I am so inclined. Reading an email is a kind of sterile endeavor because my computer in surrounded by papers and printers and it is in the middle of my kitchen which by the way , is the most uninteresting room in my cottage(more about that in the future). But when I receive a letter in the mail from one of my pen pals, I immediately want to set the scene for a lush reading of the magic contained inside. All of my victorian age films come to mind and I make a pot of tea, light the fireplace and curl up in a comfortable seat to enhance the total experience of following the adventures of all of my friends that have taken the time out to put pen to paper. I love the feel of the fancy stationary or the beauty captured on a card hand picked for me, I love the sound of turning pages, and the smell of wonder paper. It is truly a wonder filled experience and it should never die as an art/creative form of expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment