Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Othello Papers


I had a lovely time experiencing the play, "The Othello Papers" by the playwright, Robert Henry Johnson. I was squirming in my seat at the beginning of the play as I sat there listening to all of the racial stereotypes being acted out while white people heehawed it up, and I thought what is my brotha doing? And then he flipped the script and the laughter gradually turned into intense listening to the historical knowledge that the characters delivered to the mostly white audience. By the end of the play, which is still a work in progress, I was cheering. It turns out that I have read a lot of the same books and gathered the same facts but to see it in the form a play was a unique experience for me. Robert Henry Johnson took what was the deliberately hidden history of African people and brought it into the light

No comments:

Post a Comment